Here are some interesting facts from the March 2011 issue of Freedom to Work, a publication of the Freedom to Work Project, Pierre, SD regarding how hiring the disabled may benefit your business.
- People with disabilities have equal or higher job performance rates, higher retention rates and lower absenteeism than people without disabilities.
- According to a national survey of consumer attitudes towards companies that hire people with disabilities, 92% of the American public view companies that hire people with disabilities more favorably than those that do not. And 87% of the public would prefer to give their business to companies that hire people with disabilities.
- People with disabilities are experienced problem-solvers with a proven ability to adapt. They bring unique perspectives and experience to the workplace.
- Job accommodations for people with disabilities are usually low cost or no cost.
- A recent study conducted by the Job Accommodation Network (JAN) revealed that 56% of workplace accommodations cost absolutely nothing. Of those accommodations that did have a cost, the typical one-time expenditure by employers was $600.
Are you interested in hiring individuals with disabilities and having your company benefit in the process? For more information, or to set up an appointment, call me at 605-352-8333.